Monday, July 14, 2014

Immune to the Whole Thing

Dateline June 20



Part of travelling to country half a world away, with different climates, foods and some annoying  mosquitoes, is making sure that your delicate Purell infused system can handle it all. For the most part we will be working in very safe urban areas. The worry is more weekend side trips and of course any pesky mosquitoes that get by your defense wherever you may be.  

Went to my doctor in May and asked him to hook me up. He was not very comfortable in presenting himself as an expert other then doing some TwinRix for Hep A/B and a Tetanus shot (apparently everyone should have one and it is free!). I can play around rusty nails now in any country.  So it was on to The Napier Health clinic for some advice!  She sat down with me for an hour and we reviewed all of the potential issues.

Ya know, talking about potential issues is a drag when you are planning to do anything and that extends to travel.  Every possible problem in every possible scenario is brought up for your awareness; why did you tell me this?  This exchange was part of the conversation:

Me:  Japanese Encepha- what?
Her: Japanese Encephalitis.
Me: Is it bad ?
Her: Very
Me: What are the chances of getting it?
Her: Very slim but there is a chance, however very small
Me:  What happens if you get it?
Her:  Death or if you are lucky, a permanent disability and brain damage. 
Me:  Put me down for those!! (2 expensive shots)

So I am all armored up now! It could be over-kill but once you are aware that something exists, no matter how small the chance,  you want protection. There has never been a shark attack in Atlantic Canada, to my knowledge but I know people who won't swim because they saw JAWS!  Hey wait a minute ....what the what? How did I miss this ? 

 http://www.geerg.ca/shark_white.html

So I have a Typhoid shot, JE as highlighted above, Hep A/B, and pills for malaria. I declined on the rabies because it was very expensive and if you get it there is an antidote provided you get it quick. I will not pet stray dogs and stay away from Bat Caves. Even Batman's.

Here's to a safe and healthy trip! :-o




No comments:

Post a Comment