Monday, July 21, 2014

Thrilled to be in Manila

 Dateline July 19

Finally touched down in Manila shortly after noon.  Took a while to get through customs. Very busy in the airport but bags came through. Now it's off to get a cab to the hotel. After some initial confusion getting to the rental car area it sounds like they have at least heard of me and I am on the list.  I get a cab to begin the trek to our hotel close to the IBM centre. 15 Km's and 23 Mins according to Google Maps....let's see how that works. 

View from a cab

My cab driver, Robert, is a quiet and pleasant man who answers my questions in good cheer. I have been told to expect to be called sir a lot and it starts immediately.  It is almost a "singsong'y" salutatory and every response ends in sir! More like "sirrrrrr"  I notice that there has been a lot of debris on the side of the road and cleanup underway from the typhoon from last week.  I ask him about it..."It was a bad storm sir!"  And yes it looks like it was, but he said they have had much worse.

Robert is a heckuva driver and works his way through traffic, honking and making his way through. An hour and 15 minutes and approximately 100 horn honks later we have completed the trip ! I try to calculate the tip and remember 1 Philippine Peso is approx $0.025(40 to 1 ratio)

Microtel Hotel in Quezon City 


Get checked in...."hello sir" ...."thank you sir!" My initial reaction is the customer service and the way you are treated is excellent.  A very nice welcome to the hotel.  Been up for the most part for almost 48 except for a few hours on the plane.  Time to catch a quick nap before meeting the team.  Looking forward to meeting everyone finally!

#ibmcsc philippines

No comments:

Post a Comment